Friday, November 26, 2010

Medical Emergency

I was having the worst abdominal pain on tuesday, that night things just got worse. My pain increased, high fever, cold chills, uncontrollable shake, and fainting. Rick wanted to take me to the emergency room. But I was being stubborn (my little secret, I hate hospitals). But he did something for me that I know helped my situation not go bad to worse. I am so grateful for that priesthood blessing. I got a CT scan on wednesday, and it turns out that I had a cyst on my ovary that ruptured. My good news, I do not need surgery. That was my biggest fear going to see the doctor, and getting put in a big machine. I read up about my situation, and it turns out that it can be very serious...
               
             Following the rupture of an ovarian cyst, it is common for the abdomen to be distended and for it to be particularly tender. Ovarian cyst rupture is sometimes associated with hemorrhage and as such, abdominal pain and bloating, especially if you are taking anticoagulant medications such as Warfarin, is of particular concern. Sometimes a patient may also experience pallor or anemia, which may both be indicative of blood loss and internal bleeding. Internal bleeding is very serious and will require surgery to stem the blood flow and remove the blood from your abdominal cavity.
             Other, more generalised symptoms which may support the diagnosis of ovarian cyst rupture include fever and nausea or vomiting. Patients whose cyst has ruptured may experience weakness, dizziness or fainting. These symptoms are serious, as they may be indicative of internal bleeding. In addition, excessively high or low blood pressure which is unrelated to or not explained by other medical conditions you are currently being treated for or medications that you are taking also warrants concern and immediate medical investigation.
             Although the symptoms of a ruptured ovarian cyst are very similar to those present when an ovarian cyst has not ruptured, as well as similar to other less serious abdominal complaints, there is no reason to ignore these symptoms and wait for them to go away. A ruptured ovarian cyst can have potentially life-threatening complications, such as hemorrhage and infection and it is much better to have your symptoms investigated and found to be benign, than to require emergency surgery for a critical condition.

The whole article got my mind going crazy, and now I have a gazillion questions. Like, am I going to have problems having children now.

I am just grateful for Rick. I am proud that he has chosen to be a worthy priesthood holder because I really needed him that night. I am feeling much better now so no worries.




2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that you are ok!! I had the very same thing happen to me a few years ago. I have a few natural remedies that I use to prevent them from showing up again if you are interested. I haven't had any problems with cysts since I started them. Get better soon! Liebe! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you are ok! Everyone in my office has had one in the last month (except me) and to see the pain they are in is not very fun!

    ReplyDelete